Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. is a MSE free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and is automatically updated to protect your PC with the latest technology. MSE runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.
Before installing MSE, we recommend that you uninstall other antivirus software already running on your PC. Running more than one antivirus program at the same time can potentially cause conflicts that affect PC performance.
- Real-time protection
- System scanning
- System cleaning
- Windows Firewall integration
- Live system behavior monitoring
- Dynamic signature service
- Rootkit protection
- Protection against false positives
- Network inspection system
- Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7*
- For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
- 200 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser
- Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later
- Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7.